~Not to pay a debt but to acknowlege it~



"These brighter Regions which salute mine eyes
A Gift from God I take:
The Earth, the Seas, the Light, the Lofty Skies,
The Sun and Stars are mine: if these I prize."




Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"The Illustrated Dedrick."


'Phil possessed a great sense of humour, which he inherited from his mother, a close friend of my husband's mother. We lived with Kenny's folks for a while with our parakeet, Casey. Casey had the run of the house. When Phil stopped by one evening, Casey settled on his head. Phil, fully aware of how funny it looked, continued visiting without mention of the bird.

While I was studying for my degree at Rockford College night school, Phil substituted one evening for my drawing teacher. When Phil came to my desk while viewing the student's drawings, I said, "Don't get mad, Phil." Without hesitation, Phil replied, "I spent all my vitriol on my morning class."

There will never be again a Phil Dedrick.'
October 1927- March 2009
Freeport, Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment