~Not to pay a debt but to acknowlege it~



"These brighter Regions which salute mine eyes
A Gift from God I take:
The Earth, the Seas, the Light, the Lofty Skies,
The Sun and Stars are mine: if these I prize."




Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Dear Daddy"



Philip Bilse Dedrick was born on November 20th, 1921 in Broadhead Wisconsin... on Thomas Street. 


And every year I made profit on my largesse by receiving a check in return because he realized he had not remembered MY birthday. He told me that as a child he thought the world was just a soft cozy place until his parents gave him his first set of spectacles... then suddenly there were clouds and insect life. As Andrew Langoussis said, never did he know anyone born into a family of such total unconditional love.


His mother kept a meticulous Baby Book and within its pages were not only photographs but written documentation of height, weight for first ten months, first words, first gifts of clothing, first Valentine, first birthday card from grandma Bilse, as well as a blue ribbon he won for a flower raising contest. 

'Every grain of gain is noted
Every scratch of the scale so fine-
What's the use when the precious bundle
 
Far out weighs a rare gold mine'

Also tucked between these pages were thin, yellowed letters from a little boy who clearly adored his father:

'Dear Daddy-

How are you getting along at the factory? I hope you will be getting home next weekend. At school I am tring to play vollia boll but am not so good. Miss Kock wants me to take my bike over to Sheboygan but mother said no! We plan to go fishing this after noon. I miss you so so come home quick. Remember that Gods arms ar always around you and taking care of you. There is a robin building in our pine tree and has some eggs. There hasent much happened this week so I havent much new for you but remember I love you more and more each day.

Your loving son Philip'

He confided to Pat Hoffman that the only time he was truly angry with God was when his father died prematurely of a heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment