~Not to pay a debt but to acknowlege it~



"These brighter Regions which salute mine eyes
A Gift from God I take:
The Earth, the Seas, the Light, the Lofty Skies,
The Sun and Stars are mine: if these I prize."




Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Subi dura a rudibus..."


~ Two pencils & pen and ink: circa 1976~
Robert Guttke

I was called into the office of one of the Deans. During Easter vacation an empty dorm room was found with my photographic studio lights, backdrop and- the most damning -a book on anatomy and two contact sheets of nudes. It was a two part affair, I dimly remember, first being heatedly chastised for a crime then later having my anatomy book and contact sheets returned by a somewhat chagrined Dean.

Mr. Dedrick and the chair of the department had rushed immediately to my aid. “After all, this is what we are here for, to allow a student to explore the arts,” P.D. told me later, rather amused by the whole incident.
 
~Dave~
Robert John Guttke 


The quavering Dean then stated this was much the same as visitors passing through the science building who unexpectedly viewed animals being dissected (a fallacious comparison that caused me atypical, tongue biting).

P.D. said,
“Not everyone should study art, though everyone should have contact with it. Not alone because of the irreplaceable pleasures it affords, but because it is the one thing that actually endures, It abolishes time… gives insights into the finest aspirations of men.”

Months later when my senior show of drawings, sculptures and photographs were on exhibit; I was coming down the side walk and saw the Dean approach me from the art building.
“You are going to go some place some day, young man,” he said and kept walking. It is a compliment that I value to this day.


“This is why I like teaching at a small college,” P.D. said. “The individual approach is possible, and I have the opportunity to see students grow in their own rights… I attempt to develop the strengths while restraining the habits which hinder progress.”

Possibly this applied to a Dean as well.


~Drawing class~

Circa 1970




No comments:

Post a Comment